Mature cruisers are a large segment of the cruise travel population. Many are retired, and have the discretionary income and leisure time to travel. They want to see the world, and they want to do it from the comfort and convenience of a cruise ship.
Most cruise lines, whatever their size, have something for every age group. Yet, small to mid-size ships are preferred by a growing number of Mature Cruisers. These ships offer more of what people in the 55+ age groups want in a cruise experience.
Mature Cruisers are a diverse population. Despite their different interests, there are many things they agree upon when identifying what they want from a cruise vacation.
What Mature Cruisers Want
- A value filled experience and amenities in keeping with the cost of the cruise
- Having a comfort level with the numbers of passengers, noise level, and elevator access
- Fine dining in an elegant setting, a varied menu, and well prepared, delicious food
- Excellent service provided by all members of the staff and crew throughout the cruise
- The convenience of unpacking and packing once while on the cruise
- Several choices of activities and entertainment throughout each day and evening
- Activities that stimulate and challenge such as guest lecturers and classes
- Visiting multiple, interesting and exciting ports of call
- On board medical care on call 24/7
- The opportunity to meet new people, socialize and participate in activities together
- Feeling pampered by all the little extras and attention that make cruising special
- A fully accessible cruise ship and ports of call if they have special needs
- A cruise vacation with destinations they want to experience, and a cruise ship that is a resort at sea.
- A cruise ship that is in keeping with personal lifestyle, interests and needs
What Ships Can Meet These Interests and Needs?
Mature travelers have several choices when it comes to cruise ships:
Large ships with a passenger capacity of 2,000 – 2,999, and the new Mega ships serving 3,000+ passengers offer more amenities, activities and entertainment than the smaller ships. They may also cost less than the smaller ships.
Mid-size ships can carry 950-1,999 passengers. They tend to feel friendly, cozy, and informal. While entertainment options are not as many as on a large ship, the types entertainment, activities, and personal services make them a favorite of mature cruisers.
Small Ships have a passenger capacity of 1-949 passengers. Small ships have a higher ratio of staff to passengers than other ships. The atmosphere on board is friendly, warm and inclusive. Many of the ships in this category are luxury ships. They are all about personal service, including butler service. Luxury ships are known for their fine dining.
Luxury Sanctuaries at full capacity are under 300 guests. They are located within mega ships, and offer the exclusivity and services of a private club. Yet, they are only an elevator ride away from all the activities of the mega ship.
Note: Cabins are billed on a minimum of two persons per cabin.
Solo Cruisers whatever their age, usually must pay what is called a “single supplement”, and this charge can equal the cost of almost the double occupancy fare for two people. Studios are beginning to become available on some cruise lines. There is no additional supplement for these single occupancy cabins. In addition, a separate solo lounge with key access provides a social gathering place with refreshments.
Couples Cruisers are double occupancy. Most ships have Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Suite accommodations.
Multi-generational Cruisers have the option of sharing a family suite, or a number of connecting cabins.
Special Needs Cruisers having mobility impairments, or other special needs such as sight and hearing impairments are entitled to accessible cabins at no additional cost.
Selecting the right cruise ship is key to getting the most out of any cruise experience. In addition to the usual considerations of destinations and budget, ship size and cabin accommodations need to be chosen carefully.
A number of mid-size to smaller ships cater to mature cruisers. These ships offer music, activities and entertainment that appeals to cruisers 55+. Fine dining and exceptional personal service are hallmarks of these cruises.
Amenities such as complimentary beverage packages and specialty dining packages increase the value of the cruise. On board credit enables cruisers to choose purchases, which further reduces the cost of the trip and enhances the value of the trip.
If you are interested in cruises that cater to mature cruisers, call me at 800- 388-8781. I can help you choose a ship that meets your interests and is within your budget. My services are complimentary.
Thanks for visiting.
My next post, “Cruise Savvy Travel Trips” is August 13th.
Welcome to “Can Do” Street Family Friendly Cruises, your website portal for planning and enjoying luxury vacations at sea. Our site content can help you decide whether a cruise vacation is a fit for you. Current information on individual cruises, destinations and accommodations will take the guess work out of choosing a cruise.
“Can Do” Street Family Friendly Cruises is my way of sharing the travel ease, fun, and affordability of cruise vacations. To make this possible, I became a Cruise Planners Franchisee. Cruise Planners is an American Express Travel Representative. When planning a cruise, I draw on my personal cruise experiences and 35 years as an educator and recreation therapist.
Cruising is my favorite means of travel. Over the past 25 years, I’ve taken 40+ cruises, including transatlantic and river cruises. As a result, I can share what makes cruises ideal for young children and teens, as well as solo cruisers, couples, and seniors. Because I am Certified Accessible Travel Advocate, I can help children and adults with special needs to cruise in comfort.
Together we will find cruises that meet your destination interests and travel needs, while staying within your budget. I provide planning assistance at no cost.
Why a “Can Do” Street Cruises Site?
“Can Do” Street is a family site and cruises are great environments for family-friendly vacations. Cruises give individuals and families access to luxury vacations that are convenient, comfortable, exciting, and fun. Cruises pamper by providing fine dining and excellent service. Most activities are complementary, beginning early in the AM, and going late into the evening. Professional entertainment, which is offered nightly, is Broadway quality. In addition, live music is provided throughout the ship, during the day and evening.
Cruise ships anticipate the needs of families traveling with children as a standard practice. High chairs and cribs are available. The ship’s store carries diapers and other child care necessities. Dining rooms have a supply of coloring materials on hand. Children can order from a kids menu. Most staterooms have a refrigerator that can store baby bottles as well as healthy snacks.
Today’s cruises open the world of cruise travel for children and adults with special needs. In addition to accessible cabin accommodations, there are hearing and sight assistance devices on-board. Wheelchair, scooter, and walker rentals enable children and adults with motor disabilities to get around the ship and in ports. Oxygen, hospital beds, recliner chairs, and other special needs rentals make travel possible for those with medical conditions. As a Certified Accessible Travel Advocate, I can assist with planning and making arrangements for the rental of equipment. My service is offered at no charge to the those booking a cruise through “Can Do” Street Family Friendly Cruises.
What Makes Cruises Luxury Vacations at Sea?
- Cruising is a cost-effective vacation: A cruise is often more cost-effective than a land resort vacation. Most cruise costs are included in the per person rate for the cruise.
- Packing/Unpacking: You pack and unpack once. Your luggage is picked up from you at the ship terminal. It is delivered to your stateroom. Luggage is picked up from outside your stateroom on the last evening of your cruise. You pick up your luggage in the terminal after leaving the ship.
- Sea activities: All activities during the day and in the evening are free, throughout the trip, with the exception of the game arcade, casino, and spa services.
- Youth programs: Most cruise ships offer complimentary youth programs during the day and evening hours. Children are grouped by age. Staff are professionals experienced in providing recreational activities and supervising children and teens.
- Family activities: There are complimentary activities that families can enjoy together, throughout the day, and evening.
- Laundry: Cruise ships either have self-service laundries on most floors, or they offer discounts for laundry services.
- Medical Care: Cruise ships have on board medical services. Medical services are covered by the cruise insurance plan purchased when you book your cruise.
Complimentary Dining on Cruises:
- Meals Traditional dining rooms with waiter service offer complimentary dining. Buffet dining is also complimentary, as are eateries featuring pub foods or desserts. They also offer specialty restaurants which carry a charge. However, most of charges are less than similar restaurants in any city.
- Snacks: Burgers, fries and hot dogs are available on the pool decks at no additional cost. Unlimited coffee, tea, juices, milk, and soft serve ice cream are also free throughout the trip. Soda and alcoholic beverages cost less if purchased through a beverage package.
Find What You Need to Know about Cruises:
- The major cruise ships sailing from ports world-wide to destinations all over the world and river cruises
- New ships coming on line
- Weekly cruise value packages that are an affordable vacation for families
- Value packages allowing kids to sail free or at a reduced rate
- Group rates with additional amenities for family members and friends sailing together
- Information about youth programs, meals, laundry, priority boarding, insurance, medical care, accessibility, and other special needs accommodations on shipboard, and in ports
- On-board cruise life, and ports of call
- Ships with accessible, on-board accommodations, and activities for children and adults with special needs
- Destinations with accessible ports and excursions.
In my next post, I will share the pros and cons of stateroom accommodations available on a cruise. In the meantime, if you are thinking about a cruise vacation and have questions, you can reach me at 800-388-8781.
Thanks for visiting!